Becoming a parent is the most beautiful thing for any individual, but it comes with many responsibilities. Being a parent, you have to take care of many things, such as looking after your child's eating habits. You will teach your child how to behave with others and respect everyone, especially elders. More tasks add up to the list if you are a parent of a child with Autism.
Autism is a neurodevelopment disorder that affects an individual’s ability to interact and communicate with others. Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapy is an effective intervention for children with Autism.
ABA therapy sessions can be home-based or center-based. In home-based ABA therapy sessions, the therapists provide intervention in the home without peer interaction and other environmental distractions. However, when you choose center-based ABA therapy, there is an opportunity to work on socialization with peers, routines, encourage adaptability to environmental distractions and following group instructions when needed.
A recent study by the National Institute of Health (NIH) revealed that children with Autism learn and master skills more quickly in a center-based therapy program rather than a home-based therapy program.
Benefits of center-based ABA therapy also include:
• Practicing classroom routines that make their transition to a traditional school environment easier. It offers a more consistent therapy experience.
• In home-based ABA sessions, your child will see the therapist when they come to your place. However, in a center-based program, likely, the therapist has already interacted with your child at the center. So, there will be minimum difficulty in staff transitions.
• Your child will not get social interaction in home-based ABA therapy. Moreover, the child gets access to peers that makes way for social interaction and increases the chances of imitation of appropriate peer behavior.
• Children learn skills in a group learning environment in addition to one-to-one learning, which was a limitation of home-based ABA program.
• Center-based ABA program offers a variety of reinforcers, which is the not the case with a home-based ABA program.
Reinforcers are a necessary component of the teachings occurring.
• In home-based programs, therapists have limited ability to manipulate the environment. But ABA therapy centers have the opportunity to manipulate the environment to support your child’s needs.
Overall center-based ABA therapy sessions are more productive and can bring effective results. Many parents want their children to go to school by leaving their homes when required. Also, children need to understand the difference between expectations at home and other novel environments.
If you are looking for an ABA therapy center in Vaughan for your child, you can contact CARE Ltd.